Skip to main content

Roadtrip Review: Pancake Pantry Tennessee

Today's Choice off the Breakfast Menu is the Pancake Pantry in Gatlingberg Tennessee 


The wife and I were in the wonderful state of Tennessee visiting relatives and hanging out with my siblings. it was a great week full of go karts funny jokes. Unfortunately the food in Gatlinberg was sub par overall. We visited several restaurants that just didn't meet my minimal standards. Among them was this place, the Pancake Pantry, which listed itself as the best pancakes in the city. I would have to say they failed to live up to that title. 

Pancake Pantry was a nice looking place. Most of the places in Gatlinburg have great decor. It was next to a candy store where I watched a man kneed taffy for 20 minutes. The Pancake Pantry had a line out the door so the taffy guy was a welcome distraction in the thick crowd outside the restaurant. Inside the place is small crowded. If you come with a big party you will struggle to all fit at a table like we did. You will also have trouble if you have anything extra on your person, like a diaper bag and or a stroller, like we were also carrying. You have to leave those items at a coat rack by the ATM machine. I was really looking forward to trying this place out but the crowding made it difficult to enjoy the experience. When you couple that with poor service, we saw our waitress twice, when she took our order and when she dropped the check, and it was not the most pleasent experience.



The restaurant offers several different types of pancakes and crepe dishes. I went with the Cherry Supreme crepes and my wife tried the buckwheat pancakes. These dishes were not very good. The crepes were spongy and tasted as thought they had been wrapped in a paper towel and microwaved. The cherries in syrup that topped them tasted like they had just been pulled from a can. Even the whipped cream topping tasted bargain basement. My wife's buckwheat pancakes were a little better. I have never had them before. They tasted a little more grainy than I expected. She did not like them as much so I ate more of them to get the metal taste of cherry filling out of my mouth. Typically I am not too picky with my food but this was a tragic breakfast, particularly considering how much I was looking forward to some good down home cooking while we were there.

The breakdown: 
Overall Experience:

Service:                       2
Ambiance:                   4
Menu:                          3
Food taste/Quality:     2


They tasted as plastic as they look in this photo.
I give the overall experience 2 out of 5 eggs. 


The food was mediocre and poorly cooked.  They dishes were more sugar than food. The service was poor and at times nonexistant. I understand that the place was packed but overall I was not happy with what this place offered. For a place that UrbanSpoon lists as the number one breakfast in the city it did not impress.

 Pancake Pantry on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.