Skip to main content

Roadtrip Review: Mac's Speed Shop

Tonight's choice was Mac's Speed Shop South End in Charlotte NC

For our first Dinner in Charlotte I picked this place because my friends said they wanted to try some barbeque. Unfortunately by the time they got out of Heroes Con it was too late for most of the BBQ spots as they closed at 9. Urban Spoon said that Mac's Speed Shop was open late and offered good food for a decent price. I was glad I chose it.


I ordered the combo platter called the "Little Bit of Stuff" which offered my choice of four meats. The options were Hand Pulled Pork, Beer Can Chicken, Smoked Turkey, St Louis Ribs, Texan Beef Sausage, and Beef Brisket. I went with the chicken, Brisket, ribs and smoked turkey. The meal was very good. Their barbeque sauce wasn't super sweet and complimented the meat well. I must say it was a little on the spicy side but I am really sensitive to spicy food so I noticed it where others might not.


The brisket was a little different than what I was used to. It was cut into a thick slice and grilled that way. Typically I get brisket that has been cut off a loaf of brisket meat. It didn't seem to taste much different. The smoked Turkey was pretty good as well. I have never had that at a BBQ spot so it was a welcomed addition. The ribs were pretty good and well spiced. The sides were pretty good as well.

The restaurant was pretty informal. It was very loud inside with music blaring. Both the restaurants we went to in Charlotte today were blaring early 90's alternative music, which I thought was interesting. They also had live music playing outside on on the patio. That area was packed and we weren't as interested in the music.

My wife got the "Grubb" burger. It was pretty good. You have your choice of toppings but she was pretty vanilla with lettuce, tomato, mayo and onion. They actually offer a host of "fixin's" including onion rings, jalapeno, salsa, pimento cheese, chili, and or Cole slaw.


Overall Experience:
Service:                  4
Ambiance:              3
Menu:                     3.5
Food taste/Quality: 3.5

I give the whole experience 3.5 out of 5 broken eggs:

Come to Mac's for some good barbeque and live music. It feels a lot like a commercial BBQ establishment, which can be good and bad.You can have a pretty solid night out with friends or a quick bite.

For more about Mac's Speed Shop:
Address:
Southend
2511 South Blvd. 
Charlotte, NC 28203 

Hours:
Sun-Tue 11am to Midnight 
Wed-Sat 11am to 2am 

Phone: 
(704) 522-6227
Website: 

Mac's Speed Shop BBQ on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.