Skip to main content

Recipe: Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

Today at TBM central we made Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

I am not usually a fan of pancakes, mostly because of my preference for French Toast. After perusing the website The Carnal Dish, I saw a recipe for Lemon Blueberry Pancakes and thought it might be nice to try. I always have blueberries in the fridge because my son loves them, and I love a good smoothie. I had to remember to pick up lemon, but I figured it would be worth it. The pancakes turned out magnificent. They were fluffy, flavorful and rich.

I used ready mix pancake batter, mostly because I had some left over from the last time I made waffles. I added a little flour to the mix and sugar as per the recipe. some of the ingredients pictured above were included in the cheese eggs I was making while the pancakes were cooking. hence the presence of spinach, cheese and a tomato.
They said to mix the dry ingredients first, so flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt go into the biggest bowl you have. Use your medium bowl for the liquid ingredients.
The egg, milk, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, go into a separate bowl and are then poured into the dry ingredients.
 I used fresh blueberries because I have them at all times. You mix the blueberries after you mix the wet and dry ingredients.
I used my electric skillet at medium heat. I cooked them for about three minutes a side. Give or take considering I wasn't always the most attentive.
It made way too many pancakes for just me and the wife. I would highly recommend it for a family of four or more.
it came out looking good and was very delicious!
I will admit that I cheated on these. several years ago I bought these little iron rings that can be used to make silver dollar pancakes. I employed these rings in the making of these pancakes in order to give them a uniform circular size and shape. It is a little lazy but it is how I get down.

The recipe from Carnal Dish:
Blueberry & Lemon Buttermilk Pancakes

Ingredients
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp table salt
  • a tiny pinch of cinnamon
  • zest of 1½ to 2 lemons
  • blueberries (quantity is totally up to you)
  • 2 cups low-fat buttermilk, plus more if needed (see note below)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • oil or butter to coat your griddle or skillet (I used butter)
Instructions
1. Whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl to combine.
2. Whisk egg, vanilla, lemon zest, and melted butter into the buttermilk until combined. Make well in center of dry ingredients in bowl; pour in buttermilk mixture and whisk very gently until just combined (a few lumps should remain and batter may be thick). Do not over mix. Allow batter to sit for about 5 minutes. Batter will be very thick, but if it's too thick to work with, gently stir in a little more buttermilk. It should be thick and lumpy but not biscuit-dough'like.
3. Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes; add 1 teaspoon oil or butter and brush to coat skillet bottom evenly. If using an electric griddle, you can set the heat to the second highest or highest setting (between 350 and 400 degrees). Pour or scoop batter onto your skillet or griddle and spread out if needed with the back of a ladle or spoon to flatten; sprinkle blueberries on top. Cook pancakes until large bubbles begin to appear, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. Using thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and cook until golden brown on second side, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer. Serve immediately with butter and warm maple syrup, and repeat with remaining batter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.