Skip to main content

Backlog Review: Keystone in Covington Ky

Today's choice off the breakfast menu was Keystone in Covington Kentucky. 


My wife and I ate at this delightful place called Keystone in Covington. The food was great. The service was okay, and I cant find my notes about it. This review is a little light as a result.

 Keystone is a pretty well known brunch place. I have seen it foursquared and checked in from various facebook friends as well as good reviews from other well known food blogs. So I decided we should check it out.


We ordered the Keystone Frittata which comes with bacon, mushroom, and Swiss cheese. It was very delicious. I like the Frittata, which had the flavors baked in. It had a nice robust flavor and the avocado was a welcomed addition. The fruit cup that came with was pretty much melon, which is not my forte.



They offer a dish called Keystone French Toast which has "two slices of Texas toast encrusted with ginger snaps and graham crackers, griddled and topped with Grand Marnier whipped cream."  I liked it but it was a little "dark" for my tastes. I prefer a more vanilla flavor to my french toast The ginger flavor made it spicy but it was not to my taste. 




The real reason we came was the potato crisp, which was reminiscent of the "Inn the Wood" experience. Keystone name drops what used to be one of Cincinnati's best brunch spots "Inn the Wood" which was a restaurant in Clifton that was one of my most favoritest places in the whole world. It was tragically a victim of the Clifton revitalization phase where they tore down all the restaurants between that block of McMillan and Calhoun street. My wife and I cut our Florida vacation a day short when we heard they were going to close the place so we could drive back and have one last breakfast there. Inn the Wood got me through many a post exam victory omelet and had a wonderful french toast. Sadly this place was lost to future generations. Thankfully Keystone wanted to preserve a little bit of that history by creating their own version of the Inn the Wood Potato Crisp. It is a large platter of hash browns stuffed with bacon, tomatoes, onions, and sour cream. It isn't quite what the original Inn the Wood was, but it was phenomenal to get a quick taste of a long lost treasure. 

Overall Experience: 

I give this place 3.5 out of 5 eggs.

Keystone offered good food for a good price. The service was a little poor on our visit but that was probably because the place was packed. Many people speak highly of this restaurant, which if I were judging it only by the potato crisp I would agree but it just didn't hit the right notes for me.

For more information about Keystone
Keystone Bar
313 Greenup St 
Covington, KY 
Phone: (859) 261-6777
Keystone Bar & Grill (Covington) on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.