Skip to main content

Review: Breakfast at Mokka

Today’s choice for the Breakfast Menu was Mokka



The wife and I were free after a visit to church and decided to hit up an old favorite, Mokka over in Newport.  It is clean welcoming spot with first rate food, we knew it would not let us down, and it did not.

Restaurant:

Mokka is a dainty little spot in Newport. It has moved locations at least three times and has found success each time. Its current location on Mammoth St is next to the gangsters dueling piano bar. The place is open and clean. The menu is a little sparse, being made up of mostly frittata’s and omelets. The crown jewel is the Mokka French toast. They offer breakfast foods from the 9am to 3pm, and after that they offer typical pub food like burgers and the like.

The Verdict:



I got the Breakfast Club English muffin which comes with egg, spinach and hollandaise sauce. It was very good but not as flavorful as the frittatas. I was a little disappointed I got it. I wasn’t so much as disappointed by the breakfast club, but the frittatas are so good that I wished I had ordered one.


My wife got the santé fe frittata. It was very delicious. The Tex Mex flavor was def a plus and I enjoyed it. We did not appreciate the potatoes there, which were dry and not very well seasoned. My wife and I have mentioned before that if we would change anything about the restaurant we would change the potatoes, which seem like a real afterthought.


We finished our meal with the French toast, which was as delicious as we thought it would be. It has slices of bananas on it and a crème brulee sauce that was sweet but not too rich. My wife and I devoured the scrumptious French toast.

Overall Experience:
I give the whole experience 4 out of 5 broken eggs:
The food was great, as expected.  There is a reason we treat this place as a solid go to choice for breakfast. Their frittiatas are great and the French toast was as amazing as expected. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a trendy place to have some good food, particularly the delicious French toast.

For more information on the location:
Mokka and the Sunset Bar & Grill
500 Monmouth, 
Newport, KY, 41071
859.581.3700 

Hours: 
Monday-Sunday 9am-10pm 

Mokka and the Sunset Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.