Skip to main content

Review: Hitching Post

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was The Hitching Post



Today we got out of church a little later than I  intended so we had fewer brunch options.  We were down the street from The Hitching Post and  I knew they offered breakfast till 3pm so I decided to hit that place. We typically enjoy the chicken there, and I have sampled the breakfast before. I anticipated it being a good time and I was not disappointed by the scrumptious breakfast options.


Restaurant:


The Hitching Post can best be described as a chicken shack. It is located in the Hyde Park area across from Rookwood Plaza. They offer comfort foods like burgers and double decker sandwiches but are known for their chicken.  The chicken is typically pretty solid but we have had bad experiences where it was overcooked or under cooked. Fortunately it is usually dependable so we eat there at least once a month. Our waitress was pretty attentive and helpful. informative. She made small talk with us and encouraged us through the menu.

The menu is pretty broad. It offers quite a few options but focuses on the chicken. They have a pretty decent breakfast menu with a number of specials. They also offer french toast, and pancakes. One very special thing on the menu are the Kettle cakes which are fried dough that is much like Bengiets but a little more biscuit like. 

The Food:


I got the kettle French toast and the wife and I split a veggie omelet. The wife also ordered the Frank's Hometown fries.

The verdict:



The food was pretty good. The omelet was well cooked and mixed well. It tasted as though it had also been cooked in a cast iron so I was not surprised to find out via the menu that each of the omelets are cooked in cast iron.



The french toast was a pleasant surprise. It was very crispy and had a pretty good batter that made it well flavored. Typically French toast is a little soft but theirs had a crust to it that I appreciated. I really enjoyed every bite of the French Toast.



The hometown fries were pretty good as well. They came with two eggs atop them that were fried well. The home fries are cooked in bacon grease which is probably what added flavor to them. They were some of the best home fries I have had.  

Overall Experience:

I give the whole experience 3.5 out of 5 broken eggs:


The food was great. The place felt comfortable and service was good. It wasn't a place I would go out of my way for necessarily but I would choose it before more corporate fare like IHOP or Perkins. I would probably recommend the place t out-of-towners or someone looking for local “no frills” good eats. 

For more information on the location:

The Hitching Post
2715 Madison Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45209
Hours: (not available on the website)
(513)871-9201

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.