Skip to main content

Review: Bluebird Cafe

Today's choice off the breakfast menu is Bluebird Cafe in Norwood.



My wife had an eye exam this morning wherein they dilated her eyes. She took one step into the brightly lit world outside the eye doctor’s office and realized that she was not prepared to go into work until her eyes adjusted. I typically have Wednesday mornings off anyway so I thought we would have brunch together while she recuperated. I decided to hit Bluebird Cafe after reading good reviews on Urban Spoon and by local bloggers. I was very glad I did because the food was definitely above par.  I was glad I went into that sleepy little cafe and will definitely be keeping it in mind as a sure bet on future excursions.



Restaurant:


The Bluebird Café is a sleepy little diner on Montgomery Road. I hear it used to be called Cafe on the Pike, but I never entered that place. The restaurant was cozy and quaint. The service staff was friendly and helpful. There were jukeboxes in every booth and rows of seating. The crowd was slow at first but it picked up around lunch time. I thought the place would be great if you were in need of good food on a weekday and didn’t want many interruptions. I thought it might be a nice little place to read a book or study so long as you were out by noon.  Their menu was standard with omelets, pancakes and French toast. 

The verdict:


I got the western Omelet with French Toast. The wife got the biscuits and gravy with the hash browns. The food was really good.  MY wife loved the hash browns. They had a crisp, light taste unlike some hash browns you get at a diner where they seem loaded with grease.



The biscuits and gravy were also tasty. The gravy was peppery and the biscuits were fluffy like good dumplings. There was a richness to the dish that reminded me of chicken and dumplings, but it was all breakfast. The omelet was very good. It was cooked well with all the ingredients cooked inside. The French Toast was also a very pleasant surprise. It had a very good batter and was covered in cinnamon instead of powdered sugar. It was nice and crisp on the edges and each bite was wonderful.



Ratings:
Service:               3
Ambiance:          3
Food:                   4
Coffee:                 3



Overall Experience:

I give the whole experience 3.5 out of 5 broken eggs:

The food was excellent. When I walk into a place like the Bluebird I usually lower my expectations and expect breakfast food cooked by someone who either doesn’t know how or doesn’t care, (pretty much every IHOP, Perkins, and Frisches seem that way to me.) This place is the rare exception that offers a good meal that was standard but not cookie cutter and seemed to be cooked with care.

For more information on the location:

Bluebird Restaurant
4629 Montgomery Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45212
(513) 351-2427

Bluebird Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.