Skip to main content

Recipie: Spinach and Bacon Quiche


The other dish I made for Easter Brunch was a Spinach and Bacon Quiche. I had never made a quiche before but I have had some pretty good ones. Particularly the one I sampled from Bluebird bakery, which was one of the best I have ever tasted. I again forgot to take pictures of the process and I promise I will do better in the future.



The mixing of ingredients:

On this one I followed the recipe more thoroughly, although I did make some substitutions. First I
didn't have heavy whipping cream like it called for. I had half and half, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I added one cup of half and half and a half cup of sour cream because I saw it in a different recipe. I thought it would help me with not having the heavy cream.



One of the biggest problems I had was the bacon. I had intended to cook the bacon the night before but forgot, and then intended to cook it in the morning and again forgot. I didn't want to cook it in the oven while I was cooking another dish (the French Toast Casserole) because didn't want the bacon altering the flavor of that dish. So I had to wait the 40 minutes for that dish to be done before I could make the bacon. My wife brilliantly suggested that I microwave the bacon, which is what we did (but not before being frustrated by the limited grill capacity of a George Foreman.) and that turned out fine. In the future I will always consult my wife on bacon related matters, as she considers herself to be quite the expert on all things bacon.

Another issue was the spinach. The recipe called for 2 cups of packed spinach. I only went with one, and that was mostly because I cut up and packed a cup of spinach and saw that it looked like more than enough. In fairness to Paula Deen I was pretty uncertain of what she meant by the term packed. I also used Garlic salt instead of regular salt that the recipe called for.

The Baking:

I made no changes to the baking process. I threw it in the oven for 35 minutes at 375. It baked up pretty nice and fluffy.

The Verdict:


I give this dish a 4.5 out of 5 broken eggs.
It was very tasty. I was a little concerned that the center seemed a little looser than I wanted it to be. The crust I chose also seemed a to not flake up the way I wanted it to. I liked the mix of spinach and bacon. It wasn't quite as excellent as Quiche's I have had from others but I would definitely try to cook it again. Although we microwaved the bacon it came out great and didn't make a difference in the overall taste of the dish. The family loved it and we even got my sister's boyfriend to try it even though he had never had quiche before. he best part of it was that I had plenty left over for breakfast for the next week. I microwaved a slice every day and learned to really appreciate having such a quick and scrumptious breakfast.




Spinach and Bacon Quiche

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen


Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
45 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
8 servings

Ingredients

  • 6 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach, packed
  • 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender. Layer the spinach, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set. Cut into 8 wedges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.