Skip to main content

Review: Cinnamon Almond French Toast


Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was the Cinnamon Almond French Toast from the Original Pancake House in Montgomery

My wife was out of town today but, breakfast being my favorite meal I decided to hit up a regular spot we go to, the Original Pancake house in Montgomery. For my meal I decided to get the Cinnamon Almond French Toast. It’s a meal I don’t normally order because my wife is allergic to all things “nuts.”  I ordered it with my typical side, two eggs scrambled with cheese.




Since this the first review I am going to set some of the ground rules for reviews. This is subject to change but hey, for now it is our style. There are three categories I will usually follow for reviews:

Restaurant:
            The Original Pancake house is a regular joint that we hit for breakfast. It is clean, usually quiet and they serve breakfast till 3pm on Sundays. This last part is important because we often sleep in or hit church on Sundays, so we need a place that offers a late brunch. The waiter was okay, but I wasn’t paying too much attention to him, I was playing with a friend’s Ipad.

The Food:
            The Almond Cinnamon French Toast is, according to the website:

ALMOND CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST
Sourdough bread dipped in a rich egg batter, served golden brown, with sliced toasted almonds baked right in, dusted with cinnamon sugar.

The verdict:

It was not my favorite French Toast. They put way too much cinnamon sugar on it. I am not a fan of the powdered sugar they put on French Toast. I am kind of particular about it, and I know it is a minority opinion. I don’t really understand why people pour all that sugar onto a food I already plan to cover in syrup. Despite the sugar, I usually love French toast otherwise. This meal had way too many almonds on it, which made me feel quite silly. Why order something called Almond Cinnamon French Toast if I don’t like the cinnamon and almond accouterments. But that’s the only way to learn if you will like it, is to try it.
Was it tasty? Yeah, maybe to someone who likes a ton of almonds on their food. It isn’t something I would order again.As a French Toast it was good, cooked well, and not too "eggy."

I have to say that my scrambled eggs were horrible this time. I wish I had taken a picture. They were soft, flavorless and gooey. Good scrambled eggs have a fluffy firmness that this order lacked. I hated it, but I am not the type to send anything back. They usually get the eggs right, but I don't know what was going on. I couldn't finish the order.

Overall Experience:
I give the whole experience two and a half broken eggs. 


For more information on the Original Pancake House:

Original Pancake House
9977 Montgomery Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45242
(513) 745-0555
Original Pancake House on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.