Skip to main content

Review: Smoq

Today’s choice for the Breakfast Menu was Smoq



A friend of mine invited me out for his birthday, so the wife and I packed up the little man and rolled out to Smoq. The food was good but the service was so so despite the place being completely empty on a weeknight. 



Restaurant:


According to its website Smoq is a restaurant that focuses on the slow cooing and southern cuisine.  The place is very posh and well laid out. The decor is very nice and the place is laid out well. The service wasn’t so great the night we attended. The place was virtually empty with only one or two servers. The tables were covered in butcher paper and were sparsely decorated. They offer 3 kinds of sauces, which is the typical sweet, regular and vinegar based sauce. 



They offer a variety of dishes, but mostly BBQ related fare. They have a dish called fried ribs, which is what it sounds like, ribs that are breaded and deep fried. Their entrees are typical, brisket, chicken, and even a meatloaf made from buffalo.  They also have salmon, steak and shrimp entrees on the menu. You can find a copy of the menu by clicking here. 

The Verdict:


I got the fried catfish with collard greens and sweet potato brulee. The catfish was good and meaty. IT was fried a little harder than I would have liked. I thought it was a little different than I had expected. The batter was tasty but overall I wasn’t impressed. I usually prefer a breaded fish. The collard greens were well seasoned and cooked well. The sweet potato brulee was very sweet and was honestly one of the best parts of the meal. It had walnuts on top, which meant my wife couldn’t try it. 




My wife got the brisket with the collard greens and the mac and cheese. The brisket was pretty good. It was tender and well seasoned.  I sort of wished I had gotten it. I also liked the mac & cheese, which was creamy and rich. 



Ratings: (out of 5)




Service:               3
Ambiance:           4
Food:                   3


Overall Experience:
I give the whole experience 3 out of 5 broken eggs.

It was delicious BBQ, not particularly better than other places I have eaten, but good none the less. I would go back for a few things, but i cant say I would be willing to pay their prices.   

For more information on the location:

Smoq
275 PICTORIA DRIVE
CINCINNATI, OHIO 45246
513-671-7667

Hours: 
Mon-Thur 11a-10p
Fri-Sat 11a-11p
Sun 11a-9p



smoQ on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.