Skip to main content

Recipie: Apple Crisp

I had a bag of apples that was just short of going bad so I decided to make an apple crisp. It turned out very yummy.





I pretty much had all the ingredients I needed on hand. The recipe I chose asked for orange zest and fresh orange juice. I didn't have any oranges on hand but I did have a lemon. When making anything I usually cross reference as many recipes as I can find on google with interesting ingredients.
Cutting up the apples was the most time consuming part of the whole procedure. I had an apple corer and a peeler to help me along.
The recipe said to add a half cup of sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg to the apples and stir. I omitted the orange zest and juice because I had none.
I should also note that I used golden delicious apples when the recipe specifically asks for Mcintosh or Macoun apples. I don't typically buy those types as I prefer the golden delicious.
All the dry ingredients went into a bowl for the topping.

I used the blender but the recipe called for a paddle attachment. I was not sure what it meant.
You had to blend this for a while for it to take on a crumbly texture. I also had to deal with the butter being frozen.
Apples go in the pan and then the topping on top. I spread it even with a spatula.
Whole thing goes into the oven for one hour.
It came out looking crispy and delicious.

I threw it in a bowl while it was still hot and topped it with a dollip of ice cream. It was delicious. It was easier than I thought it would be and I made it with things I always have on hand. If is definitely a recipe I will be trying again. I would probably reduce the sugar in the future. The recipe called for two cups of sugar (including brown sugar). I thought that made it a little rich.  But still it came out very well.
The Recipe from Food Network:

Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp

 

2002, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All Rights Reserved
Prep Time:
20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
1 hr 0 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
10 servings

Ingredients

  • 5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples
  • Grated zest of 1 orange
  • Grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

For the topping:

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 14 by 2-inch oval baking dish.
Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples.
Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.