Skip to main content

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice,
Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.



The ingredients are easy to come by. The sweetened condensed milk was the most expensive and the only single use item.
Water, rice and butter goes in the pot. You heat it to a boil.
Once its up to a boil you add the lid.
Its going to sit like this for 20-25 minutes.
To this you add the milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and stir. Then you let it sit on the stove for 20-30 minutes at low heat. I stir it frequently to stop the rice from sticking.
I made the mistake of adding a little too much sugar to this batch. I forgot how sweet condensed milk is and I usually do not measure when I cook familiar recipes. I poured in the sugar and it came out way too rich. it tasted good but it is going to need to sit for all that sweet to settle. ( I am not sure if that is actually a thing.)
Despite how sweet it was it came off very good. Despite me making up the "settling" thing it actually was very good the next day. Typically when I make sweet rice its for dinner. My favorite meal is to pair it with fried chicken and broccoli. I make enough to put it into Tupperware and eat at various times during the week.

This recipe doesn't get graded because its one I have been making for years. I love it because its good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even dessert. I strongly suggest you try it. The recipe below is modified from a recipe provided online by allrecipies.com. it was provided by member crys7422, and I modified it for my own purposes.

The Base Recipe:

recipe image
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Ready In: 45 Minutes
Servings: 6

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked small grain white rice
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups water
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup white sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:


1. Bring the rice, butter, and water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.

2. Whisk together the 2 cups whole milk, sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl, and pour this milk mixture over the cooked rice. Stir to combine, and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.

3. Add Sweetened Condensed milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon after it has simmered. Sometimes my rice will dry out so I am always willing to add more milk to fluff it up as it simmers. This makes the rice sticky (which I prefer). Allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm or cold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.