Skip to main content

Roadtrip Review: Zada Janes Cafe

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu is the Amaretto French Toast from Zada Janes Cafe in Charlotte, NC.


It was our first day in Charlotte and we had to Brunch, because that is how we roll. The wife, Mrs. Huddleston and I hit the streets for a little Brunch. I chose Zada janes because it was a leftover from last year that we didn’t get a chance to hit. The place was decent but not great. The service was excellent but there were a few things that missed the mark, particularly for a place that was once listed as the best breakfast in Charlotte.

Restaurant:

Zada Janes is a trendy little place that is in a little area of Charlotte where a lot of other restaurants in Charlotte are, particularly restaurants recommended by Urban spoon and Charlotte’s urban magazine Creative Loafing. The place definitely had a hipster vibe to it with quirky menu titles. I will say that they have one of the worst websites in the world. There is weird music playing and obscure imagery. I am not sure why it is so esoteric for a place that serves breakfast food but I forgot how weird it was after I looked it up last year and was doubly annoyed by its unnecessary weirdness when I returned to it this year.

I did like the art on the walls of the restaurant, and so I took a few photos. We were there at 3 on a Friday so the place was quiet and the staff was very laid back. The service was pretty excellent with a cool staff that was talkative and inviting.

The food was okay. My Amaretto French toast was a huge dish. As you can tell by the photos it was very nice to look at. It was very bready and too thick. It was more toast than French toast which isn’t at all what I expected. It had a dark flavor to it, maybe that was the Amaretto. I usually really like Challah French toast but I just felt they missed the mark.

The side I ordered was sweet potato browns. I expected them to be shredded, but they were chunked in cubes. They did not taste very appeasing. I was not sure what I expected but they were not my cup of tea. That has been a problem with so many places adding sweet potatoes to the menu, I think they have to be prepared a way for me to like them and often they are just sweet potatoes, with little seasoning. My personal taste buds like potatoes plain with a little salt and pepper. I have not developed that same love for a sweet potatoes.

My wife had a dish called the blazing saddles which was an omelet with black beans, chipotle chicken, pepper jack, Jalapenos, salsa and sour cream. It was very delicious and the TLC biscuit that came with it was very fluffy.

Overall Experience:
Service:                  4
Ambiance:              3.5
Menu:                     4
Food taste/Quality: 3.5

I give the whole experience 3.5 out of 5 broken eggs:


For more about Zada Janes Corner Cafe:

Address: 
1601 Central Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28205

Hours: 
Mon-Tues. 8am - 3pm
Wed- Thurs 8am - 10pm
Fri-Sat 8am - 11pm
Sunday 9am - 10pm

Phone:
(704) 332-3663  ‎


Website:
http://www.zadajanes.com/

Zada Jane's Corner Cafe on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sweet Rice

Today's recipe was a family staple sweet rice, Most people would call this rice pudding. Its about the same, but we tend to eat it warm, where others may eat it cold. We also consider it to be a useful addition to any meal, be it as a side dish or a breakfast. The recipe is pretty easy, so I suggest you try it for yourself.

Review: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Cheesecake Factory

Today's choice off the Breakfast Menu was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and the French Toast Napoleon from the Cheesecake Factory Today the wife and I decided to hit up the Cheesecake factory for brunch. We have eaten there once before for breakfast but that was so long ago that I did not have a clear memory of why we had never returned. A friend of ours really likes eating at the establishment and it had been forever since we ventured that way. The restaurant was of course packed to the gills but we discovered the secret of the bar area where, if you can grab a table, you can jump the line and get seated faster.

Review: Zoup!

Today’s choice off the Breakfast Menu was Zoup!  Fresh Soup Company: Every now and again a friend will call me to sit down and bend my ear to their tales and troubles. Today was  one of those days where I found myself on the other side of the table while a friend laid out a personal issue. We decided on Zoup! at Stetson Square. It specializes in various soups. They let you taste them before you buy, so you have the chance to try over a dozen different soups. The soups were tasty but not spectacular. It was a pleasant experience for a quick lunch.